Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Red Hood New 52 Custom Rundown


Oh hey!  An actual custom completed!  A overview to go with it!  Jeez, I might have enough content to have ads on here in about...seven or eight more years..  Let's get to this before I put you to sleep.

Concept:

I hate Robins, let's just get that out of the way.  Batman is so bad ass that he doesn't need help.  Fortunately the people over at DC don't agree with me and I am okay with that.  Mainly because some of my favorite characters evolved from Robin personas ala Nightwing.

The "Under the Red Hood" arc never grabbed my attention more than any other Batman run but DC got it right the second time when they did the movie (awesome flick btw), so a Red Hood custom had to be made.

I usually like to keep my DC characters with DC Universe figures and Marvel characters with Marvel Legends characters but I saw a sick Red Hood made by the customizer Paint Samurai and loved the look and wanted to capture a more angry Red Hood.



Process:

Not too much special techniques or anything here.  The heads were the hardest part of this custom, mainly because I couldn't decide on the overall look I wanted.  All in all, I think I started and scrapped four helmeted heads before I was happy with the fifth.  Same problem with the unhelmeted head but I only went through two before making the final call.

New things I tried with this one was drybrushing with a translucent gray over a black.  Of course the photos really don't show that but I might learn to shoot someday.  


Final Thoughts:

I really liked this one.  I am already in the process of making a more DCUC type Red Hood with some ideas that I had while wrapping this guy up (implementing new things or changing aspects of customs any time after priming is a recipe for disaster), so we will see where that goes.

On top of that, I don't really like the Jason Todd head.  It's not angry enough and, sadly, it is the most angry head I had in my fodder.

Love it or hate it?  Let me know what you think

P.S.  Give yourself a high five if you noticed that I made ANOTHER alteration to my Batman figure.  Will it ever be done?

No comments:

Post a Comment