Thursday, November 7, 2013

Top 10! Current Action Figures on my Shelf

The action figure, one of the coolest toys ever created.  If you think about it, most times, it is a piece of plastic that weighs less than a pound and does absolutely nothing to benefit our lives except make us happy.  Sure the dog makes me happy when I come home but I have to walk him and pick up after him but with a figure, I don't really have that responsibility.  In an enlightened rum and diet mind state this past weekend, I decided to bring out a ton of action figures and just inspect them for no reason at all.  It got me to thinking about which ones would make the list of the best of the best.  Now, keep in mind, this is not my all time favorite as, due to moving and life events,  I am missing figures that would EASILY make the cut (I might make an all time list in the future).  To make the cut is simple, do I physically own you.

10.  DCUC Copperhead



Some of you not vast in the comic book knowledge might not even know who this guy is but that is what makes the DC Universe Classics line so great and this figure.  The amount of detail through out the body all the way to the head sculpt is a thing of beauty.  What stands out to me is that the chest piece comes from a previous Aquaman figure and to be able to match the same detail (even though some sort of tool was probably used) for the newly sculpted parts allowing the overall design to flow perfectly.

9.  DCC Trinity War Superman



A simple repaint from DC Collectibles Justice League line, this figure added a metallic look to the new Superman design.  I'm a big fan of Jim Lee and I thought the new costume designs of the New 52 were a much needed fresh breath to DC.  The added points come from the metallic look,which just makes the figure POP!

8.  DC Direct Hush Batman


This guy was my default Batman for many years.  Not only did my man crush for Jim Lee's work make this figure amazing, it was the best head sculpt for Batman that I have seen in years.  So much so that myself and every other customizer out there used this head sculpt for any Batman figure made.  This figure also had a sweet alternative hand that was holding the infamous grapple gun.  This figure was the reason as to why I started collecting full lines (vs "cherry picking" my favorite characters) again.  I really want to rate this figure higher but the short cape just kills me.

7.  Bandai Lion-O


I loved ThunderCats as a kid, so when Bandai made this bad boy, I had to get it.  Again, this figure could have been higher on the list but two things held it back.  One (not pictured), the ankle joints were orange (WTH) and two, I love the six inch scale and this guy is around eight inches.

6.  Playmates 2011 TMNT Raphael


The last of my old school love.  If you haven't been watching the new cartoon on Nick, SHAME ON YOU!  It is a great rendition of my favorite characters and the figures follow suit.  The articulation is just a tad better than the old school figures that I had but the new look is better.  My favorite turtle with an attitude looks like he is ready to dish out a beating and I love it.

5.  Hasbro SDCC Exclusive Archangel


My God!  Someone finally got it right when it comes to wings.  This figure would be so boring without those wings (obviously, it is just their standard body with a new head sculpt).  This exclusive had the figure in the X-Force suit but the vacuum sealed wings are SO pretty and the articulation is even nicer.  You can separate the outside of the wings, flip them around, and get a cool effect where they wrap around the figure.  A true masterpiece.

4.  DCUC New 52 Batman


I really wanted this figure to be higher but it just can't.  Any time a company makes a comic accurate figure of Batman, you can assume that it is going to make my fav list.  The Horsemen have a great tendency to mix a lot of different artists look into one figure in the DCUC line and they continued with this guy.  I see a little Lee, Capullo, and Finch plus a few others wrapped into one figure.  When I saw the prototype for this figure, I was sold.  Sadly, Mattel casted the main parts in a bluish gray, missing the now famous knee pads and that it kills me.

3.  DCC Justice Batman


Figured out that I love Jim Lee yet? Kidding aside, this is a great figure.  Nice long cape, colors are what they should be, great sculpted detail.  A true collector's piece.  This could easily make my all time favorite list had it not been severely lacking articulation.  Again, being the current look of the batsuit scores major points in my book (it's a disease, I know).  I love the New 52 designs and Bats is the best.  A lot of people hate that his underwear is not on the outside but I realized how dumb it was the year I put on a batsuit for Halloween.

2. Hasbro SDCC Exclusive Wolverine 

Good old Wolverine is my second all time favorite comic book character but in 2008, when Clayton Crain drew Wolvie in the X-Force outfit, I was blown away.  I loved the black and gray black ops uniforms and the red creepy eyes.  Fast forward to 2012 when Hasbro made the above figure for their exclusive set.  One of my favorite costumes for Logan, incredible articulation, and an amazing head sculpt where he is not screaming like a jackass.  The showstopper is the claws.  Not only are they vacuum sealed in this silver material but they are not warped and bent like every other Wolverine figure that we have every gotten.  But WAIT!  There is more, the claws are removable!  Finally, a bad ass looking Wolverine that is shorter than most figures (the way he should be).  This figure was reused in the latest ML line that came out in coordination with the new movie, but the paint apps were awful.  Truly a shame as that and this costume are my two favorite costumes.


1.  DCUC Custom Batman 





You honestly had to see this one coming.  I know this comes off as being arrogant but this is really my favorite figure, currently.  It is a nice blend of my favorite artists, heck, it is made from two figures that are on the list.  Head, cape, and gauntlets based on Jim Lee art, body based on Greg Capullo (I like the less armor look for the body because Batman is a badass that doesn't need armor).  Any version of Batman in his current costume is a chart topper for me.

Yeah, it is not a retail figure but that is the great aspects of custom.  You get the figure that YOU want.

So there you have it.  Will these figures be on my top 10 all time?  Stay tuned.

Love or hate these figures?  Let me know in the comments below.  Also, I wouldn't mind hearing what your top 10 are.  To each their own!








*Note:  All but one of these photos were not taken by me, but you probably already knew that based on the quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment